Project selection is the critical first step toward improving internal conditions using Six Sigma’s systematic DMAIC method — provided you make the right decision.
One bad call can cause a whole host of problems that can undo hard-won progress, cause confusion, and create unnecessary double work for your team.
Unfortunately, selecting projects isn’t as easy as it sounds.
Most problems don’t automatically reveal themselves — and even in situations where problems are obvious, it’s difficult to gain any real insight into whether it’s the best place to focus your efforts.
In this Project Selection Training Course, you’ll learn how to identify a good project using Six Sigma best practices and tools to make an informed decision.
What You’ll Learn in this Online Project Selection Course
Like most Six Sigma tools and techniques, project selection is a data-driven process that aims to eliminate guesswork when it comes to choosing where to focus your efforts.
This process enables organizations to develop a standardized selection process that uses a criteria-based matrix to quickly identify the DMAIC projects worth prioritizing. By working through the criteria, it becomes easier to properly allocate resources and avoid wasting time on the wrong projects.
In this Project Selection Online Course you’ll learn how to:
- Perform a business needs assessment to identify problem areas that align with your business strategy and your end-customers.
- Use the 3 voices scorecards to prioritize business needs.
- Create problem & objective statements that focus on solving problems using SMART goals.
- Create a primary metric graph in Excel to analyze raw data and measure progress toward achieving goals.
- Create a Project Charter.
- Calculate the potential savings of a potential improvement project.
- Facilitate team meetings using the Group Development model for managing teams, as well as implement a 5‑stage process for managing meetings.
Benefits of this Gemba Academy Project Selection Online Training Course
Participants will come away from this Project Selection Course with the knowledge and tools needed to identify, evaluate, and select the projects that deliver the biggest impact on your organization.
Gemba Academy members also receive the following benefits:
Each lesson clocks in around the 10-minute mark and provides learners with something they can immediately apply to their daily work.
Our video training content also includes supplemental resources to maximize knowledge retention, such as templates, quizzes, and workbooks. In our Project Selection Online Course, we provide templates for all tools mentioned in the series and explain how and when to use them.