The term “A3” technically refers to an 11×17 sheet of paper. In Lean, the A3 is so much more than a piece of paper — it’s a valuable tool that helps workers visualize the thinking behind the problem-solving process.
A3 Thinking is part tool, part methodology, designed to help teams identify the most critical aspects of a problem using the PDCA cycle, then using that information to create a one-page story. A3s are valuable coaching tools, as they provide a window into the learner’s thought process.
The goal with A3 Thinking is to develop a consistent, sustainable process for planning and problem-solving, as well as improving collaboration throughout the entire organization.
What You’ll Learn in this A3 Problem-Solving Training Course
Gemba Academy’s Lean A3 training course is a nine-part series that introduces the concept of A3 and how it can be used as both a methodology and a problem-solving tool.
This A3 training will:
- Introduce the fundamentals of A3 Thinking and why it’s an important part of Lean management.
- Explain each of the nine steps of A3 Thinking.
- Examine the relationship between A3 Thinking and the PDCA cycle.
- Show you how to use A3 to distill the most critical elements of a problem into a one-page story, keeping things concise and focused.
- Teach you how to use A3 Thinking for problem-solving, decision-making, planning, and more using an A3 training exercise. We’ll walk you through the process of filling out the template and explain how A3s can be adapted to different situations.
Benefits of this Gemba Academy Online A3 Training Course
A3 Thinking can be used across a wide range of applications, from decision-making and problem-solving to planning, reporting, and coaching employees.
At the end of this course, you’ll understand how to use this tool to build consensus and encourage collaboration in your own organization.
Hear from experts with real-world experience.
All courses are designed and led by Lean experts who draw from lessons learned from working with companies all over the world.
Our A3 Thinking training course is part of an asset library of 2,000+ on-demand video courses. Gemba Academy subscribers have unlimited access to all courses and can watch anytime, on any device.
Courses are designed for continuous improvement.
Gemba Academy’s online Lean management courses are designed for continuous improvement. All lessons are 15 minutes or less and offer practical insights and instruction that teaches learners to identify, understand, and solve problems.
You can watch the first video in every course series for free, including the first module in our A3 training series.