Seven Deadly Wastes
Before we start talking waste, let’s back up for a moment and look at the big-picture.
Generally speaking, the work that we do falls into one of three buckets:
- Value-Added Work
- Non-Value-Added Work
Often, organizations look toward the value stream to make improvements by attempting to reduce lead times or boost worker productivity. And while those are important parts of driving continuous improvement, there’s more opportunity in taking on waste.
In Gemba Academy’s 7 Wastes training course, you’ll learn about all seven wastes and what makes them so deadly to your organization.
What You’ll Learn in This 7 Wastes of Lean Course
This three-part 7 wastes training course series will:
- Explain each of the Seven Deadly Wastes, what causes them, and the damage they can cause if left unchecked.
- Show you how to identify waste by standing in an Ohno Circle. Lean expert Jennifer Scott breaks down the eight-step process.
- How to eliminate each type of waste using Lean tools like 5S and Kanban.
- Expert Ron Pereira explains what a spaghetti diagram is and how it can be used to analyze any process involving the movement of raw materials, finished goods, or people.
- In the second course series, you’ll examine waste in the healthcare industry, a sector where inefficiencies and mistakes are a matter of life or death. Ron passes the mic to author and consultant, Mark Graban, who will explain each of the eight wastes in the healthcare space, using stories from real companies to highlight their impact.
- In the third portion of this series, you’ll hear from Jeff Kaas, president of Kaas Tailored. You’ll watch Jeff as he presents the seven wastes to a group touring his facility to learn more about Kaas Tailored’s Lean initiatives.
Dealing with the Seven Deadly Wastes
In this course, you’ll learn what the Seven Deadly Wastes are, what causes them, and what they can cost your organization. You’ll also learn how to combat each individual waste using tools like kanban and 5S.
- 12 Videos
- 1h 17m
The Eight Types of Waste in Healthcare
In the healthcare industry, errors and inefficient processes can literally mean the difference between life and death. In this course, consultant and author Mark Graban breaks down the eight wastes as they apply to healthcare, using powerful stories to illustrate their impact.
- 14 Videos
- 1h 42m
The Seven Wastes, with Jeff Kaas
Any one of the seven deadly wastes can kill your lean activities before they even get started. In this series, Jeff Kaas, the president of Kaas Tailored, presents the seven wastes to a tour group at his facility, who are there to witness and learn from Kaas Tailored’s transformative lean initiatives.
- 9 Videos
- 1h 16m
Benefits of Gemba Academy 7 Deadly Wastes Online Training
After completing this 7 Deadly Wastes online training course, participants will have an understanding of the 7 Wastes and how to identify and eliminate them.
No matter where you begin your Lean journey, all Gemba Academy subscribers receive the following benefits.
Access to 1,500+ School of Lean and Six Sigma video training lessons, and the Gemba Academy Live! virtual tours, where you’ll get an inside look at other companies’ Lean transformations.
All Gemba Academy modules are created by Continuous Improvement Practitioners who learned how to make concise, highly engaging training videos. Training is based on real-world experience working with a wide range of companies from all over the world.
Subscriptions are offered on a per-site basis, which means on-demand access to all Gemba Academy content for an unlimited number of users at one location. We also offer custom plans for multi-location enterprises based on your organization’s goals, geographic distribution, size, and more.